Monday, December 10, 2007

Sammy, Felipe, and Connie.

My latest project is two short films, entitled (for now) Sammy and Felipe and Connie. This project began last year when, while developing a story for a different project, Monster and Mario suggested I read Butch Dalisay's short story, Some Families, Very Large from the short story collection Selected Stories. I was instantly drawn in by Butch's prose, a delicate wordplay that draws fine pictures. I read his whole book in one sitting.

A year later that project I was working on was abandoned, but the story of Some Families, Very Large stuck with me. I was especially touched by the ending, wherein the protagonists have a chance encounter with an eccentric lady in the end. This random meeting of strangers suddenly becomes a moment of truth for all of them. I'm fascinated with moments like these, which defines the nature of being human - the joyful, heartbreaking point of contact. I decided to adapt the story itself, but with an addition: a second, entirely independent story revolving on the other party.

In the summer of 2007 Butch graciously gave us permission to adapt his story. I contacted my good friend, National Book Award-winning writer Tara Sering, and we crafted the stories of Sammy and Felipe, the father and son, which is the direct adaptation of the story; and Connie, the odd lady they meet in the end, a conjecture on what must have happened to her.

Though both shorts share one pivotal scene, the stories are independent of each other. Each is but a moment in the characters' lives, but when viewed together I hope to create a larger story of how human beings connect.

--

Arkeofilms presents our new short films: Sammy and Felipe and Connie.

Sammy and Felipe catches a day in the life of 9 year-old Sammy with his grifter father, Felipe. Sammy embraces the day's adventures with Felipe who tries to make most of the day hustling money. Both forge a more meaningful bond when an encounter forces them to face the truth.

In Connie, a lonely old woman faces the death of her adopted son. She bides time in delaying the inconsolable grief, until unexpected visitors force her to examine her sorrow.

Production is set for the holiday season (yeah, what a bad time to work on it). Keep posted for more.

No comments: